Thursday, November 17, 2011

Life Update and a Product Review: Enjoy Life Crunchy Cookies

Oh, I am a bit behind here. It seems that, in life, you are either behind in work/things that need to be done, or behind in everything else. I think this falls into the "everything else" category. My apologies. As some of you may know, I finished grad school in May and since I started working full-time (real-job time!) I haven't had much time to write.

Also, in an effort to um, er, downsize, I have enacted a moratorium on baked goods, excepting those on Thanksgiving and Christmas (upon which there will be baked goods. I'm very excited to show you them). I did manage to sneak some pumpkin bread in there but I figure, if it's made in the bread machine it can't be all bad. And pumpkin is oh so good for you.

And since I didn't technically bake these cookies I'm about to review, they don't count - yep, I'm pretty sure they don't. Plus, they were sent to me gratis, and therefore can't be wasted.



So for the stats: these cookies come in four varieties: double chocolate, chocolate chip, vanilla honey graham, and sugar shortbread. They are indeed lightly crispy, and quite large for the typical boxed-cookies, which makes me happy, at about 100-120 calories a pop for two.They are free of all the allergens, as Enjoy Life products are.

(Tip: if you like your cookies less-crispy, open the box and come back in a few days; they will soften up a little)

These make a lovely snack, dessert, coffee-partner. I just tried the sugar version yesterday and even though the chocolate ones are very good, I think the big sugar crystals on these won me over. (Very bad tasty with Nutella.)

However, with the holidays coming up, I am confident that these cookies would be a great ingredient in recipes that call for a cookie crust/cookie crumbs, etc.  Their texture is very well suited for grinding, and firm enough to stand up in baking.



Another related tangent that I need to share: my grandma makes the best rum balls. Ever. In all creation. Every year she makes a whole batch of them and then they sit out in a big tin on the counter, getting better each day, as rum balls do. Since her house is about 10 feet from mine, I used to furtively sneak into the kitchen - when people were conveniently elsewhere - and shove a couple in my pocket for good measure.

If you aren't familiar, they are basically crushed Nilla wafers, rum, powdered sugar, and walnuts. They are German, as am I. Many recipes call for cocoa powder, but I think they're better without it. No need for baking, which keeps the alcohol...intact. They are amazing little spicy balls of cookie dough, and of course off-limits to me now.

As yet I haven't tried to recreate them gluten-free, but this year I really want to. And I think I might have to try it with the vanilla honey graham version here.

Has anyone tried to make some sort of unbaked cookie with gf cookie crumbs? Let me know!

One week till Thanksgiving!


2 comments:

  1. I have gotten to sample these at a couple of GF events in the past year but really haven't seen them in any supermarkets or GF stores since. They're good; much better than their small round soft cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree - plus the soft ones just feel too small!

    ReplyDelete