Thursday, August 4, 2011

A Tasty Thursday!

I have the habit of repeating food; once I find something I like I tend to eat it over and over until I get sick of it. Apparently doctors say this isn't a good habit to have, since you may restrict your nutrients, but like many people I have my food-moods.

Example: for the past few months I have been on a salad kick, and before that I hadn't made a salad at home in quite awhile. This particular salad was made without lettuce, since bagged lettuce usually has "taste" and I'm too lazy to wash my own lettuce - it always goes bad, what can I say? Instead I used cucumbers, carrots, green onions, and sometimes a bell pepper, dressed with a mixture of Bragg's aminos, olive oil, and apple cider vinegar. (If you haven't tired Bragg's yet, do! It's a great GF alternative to soy sauce and makes a great seasoning.)

But recently I've eaten some tasty things, and I thought I'd share some of my new favorites!

Trader Joe's Hummus Salad Dressing




The past couple dressings I've tried have been complete losses, so color me happy to find this fantastic hummus dressing! It's like the better version of thick hummus because it can go on salads and still work as a dip, with less chance of me eating the whole container in one sitting.

Amy's Gluten-Free Lasagna




I was always a fan of Amy's Dairy-Free Lasagna, but how happy am I they have a GF version now?! I stumbled upon this on a rare trip to Safeway (normally they have a very poor selection of GF foods), and I discovered they carry a large selection of Amy's meals that are a little cheaper than my usual store. Who knew? And hey, it's pretty good, and only 290 calories. Win.

Yoplait Go-Gurt




I know what you're probably shaking your head at this, because Yoplait's prime advertising directive (very "Borg" of them) is to encourage moms to put this in their kid's lunch. But seriously folks, freeze them. It is the only way to ever get store-bought yogurt to turn into something resembling frozen yogurt from an ice-cream shop. Putting a whole 6 oz container in the freezer gives you a dairy rock; freezing a Go-Gurt tube makes for creamy, tasty frozen yogurt. Plus, it's cheap and comes in kooky flavors.

Fresh Summer Fruit



The view inside my fruit cup


Ok, so this isn't a "new" find, but this is the time for fruit. And this morning I had just about the best fruit cup I've ever had with actual fruit in it - you know, other than melon and half a strawberry. Plus my yard is on blackberry overload - no complaints here!

Salmon and Jicama Salad with Honey-Mustard Vinaigrette




Usually my school/work has rather limited food options, but their summer grill menu is quite lovely, and made outside to boot.  Fresh grilled salmon with almonds and honey-mustard? Good. Jicama? Good. Dressing? Good. Overall, Fantastic.

So, in the words of one of my Facebook friends, "Knock off this whole, 'Make me jealous with food' business." Sorry folks, but sometimes I feel obligated to show how a gluten-free diet is anything but dull!

No comments:

Post a Comment