Saturday, August 20, 2011

Spicy Homemade Tortilla Chips

2As a child, I shunned spicy things – I would put my dinner in the fridge for a few minutes before eating so it wouldn’t be hot. I even had a very strange habit of dunking Chinese food in a glass of water – what I was  thinking on that one even I don’t know. What can I say; I had quirks, and a very obliging mother.

But in recent years, I have begun to love spicy foods, and really, what’s not to love? For one, spicy foods contain capsicum, which helps fight pain and improves blood circulation. I also read a study that proves spicy foods help rev up your metabolism and promote calorie burning (of course, this only helps if you make healthy spicy food; taco bell is probably not your best bet).

However, shopping for spicy chips is not always so successful; they’re either full of fat, full of dairy, full of gluten, or have those mysterious “natural flavors,” and who the hell knows what those are?  My very favorite brand is tasty, but threatens the fit of my jeans.

Solution? Take matters into my own hands. It’s seriously simple: all you need is a bit of oil, corn tortillas, and seasonings – no deep fryer needed. You can control how much oil and salt is used, and by baking them they’re so much better.

4

Spicy Homemade (and Baked!) Tortilla Chips

Makes about 3 servings (or one really big one)  

3 large corn tortillas (about 90 cals each)

1-2 teaspoons of vegetable oil,

or a few generous sprays of Pam

For spicy version: 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper, 1 tsp cumin, 1 tablespoon seasoning blend of choice (or Costco’s Organic  No-Salt Seasoning), salt and pepper to taste.

6

Mix oil and spices together in a large ziplock bag. Slice tortillas into triangles and throw into bag; shake bag until chips are evenly coated. Lay chips out on a baking sheet in a single layer, bake in a 400 degree oven for 5-10 minutes, until golden and not too soft in the middle.

1

Eat!

Tips:

  • Three large corn tortillas will fill up a large baking sheet (I say 90-cal size because who knows what “large” could be).
  • If you want to use less oil you can lay the chips out, spray them  with oil, and sprinkle on seasoning.
  • For a non-spicy version, sprinkle oiled chips with salt and give them a squeeze of lime after baking.

3 comments:

  1. They look really really nice. I'll have to try this. Very simple too - I could use my own home made tortillas too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super simple :) I actually saw your recipe for homemade tortillas the other day; I want to try to make them with gluten-free flour!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! I fry up my own tortillas chips all of the time, but never think of adding spice to them nor do I think of baking them. Fantastic recipe! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete